Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fort Washington

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that Kurt and I decided to do something outside to enjoy it. We ended up getting lost a little thanks to our GPS and construction, but we eventually made it to the Fort Washington Park.

Kurt disobeying the "No Climbing" sign
We have been here before, but last time it was not open so we were not able to see what was behind the gates. I am not a big history buff, but it was a fun experience. After seeing the barracks soldiers slept in, (dark brick chambers with straw cots), I am so thankful for mattresses and down pillows.
I am also glad to not be kept in this scary room
There were several scary places in this fort, but this was by far the scariest. It totally made me think of a scene from Sixth Sense. I couldn't believe how thick the door was and how dark it was in there. Future parenting tactic: bring my daughter here when she is older to convince her to obey her parents: "Look what happens to children who don't pick up their toys and listen to their parents." :)
Added bonus: Can you spot the woman lounging on the bridge?
It was a fun day to spend time with Kurt before he gets into Dental Boards mode. But being pregnant makes you notice how many steps were around this place. Sheesh! I was huffing and puffing my the end of the day.

No comments: